Autumn is in full swing and just like our wardrobe selection changes with the seasons, so should our diet! Unless you are living in a tropical country, eating a salad in winter would be the equivalent of wearing a bikini when temperatures are cold. Keep your diet because our bodies change throughout cold months.
As the temperatures drop, we need to nourish and warm the body from the inside, to balance things out. The colder months are all about eating the grounding and nourishing foods that are going to balance our hormones, strengthen our immune system, boost our energy and feel well all rounded.
So, what should one be eating at this time of the year?
The following foods are the ones that are in season now and that should be a part of our diet.
- Root vegetables: carrots, squash, pumpkin and sweet potato
- Whole grains: brown rice, quinoa, oats and millet
- Legumes: beans, chickpeas, lentils, soybeans
- Green vegetables: broccoli, spinach, kale, celery, rocket and artichokes
- Fruit: apples, pomegranates, citrus fruits and pears
- Fish: sea bass, cod, sole and haddock
- Herbs: ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, rosemary, thyme, basil and dill.
What does the perfect meal plan look like?
Start with a nourishing and warming porridge made with pre-soaked oats, plant-based milk, grated apple, ginger and cinnamon and some nuts and seeds of your choice.
Combine some sort of grain with root vegetables, legumes and a side of green vegetables to make a macro bowl.
Prepare a warm soup with vegetables and legumes or grains or steam or bake a fish of your choice with a side of vegetables.
Humboldt, an international food broker offers top quality foods sourced from around the world. From vegetables, fruits, fish and seafood, Humboldt can be your go to food importer that offers the widest range of foods.